Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Secretly in Love

I woke up
To the soothing pitter patter of rain
Upon the rooftop
Falling steadily, softly at first
But surely
Of that I was certain

(I watched, captivated
At the first drop of rain
As it slides
Across the dusty window
So calming
Almost ethereal)

I opened the windows
Slightly
And felt the gush of cold wind
Upon my warm skin
So refreshing
With eyes closed
Quietly enjoying
In the comfort of privacy

With the fire in the fireplace
Burning so fiercely
Keeping me warm
I opened the windows
Even more so
Bringing with it
The mist of raindrops
So intoxicating

So intoxicating that I failed to notice
The flickering fire
Threatening to burn out
With every breath
Of the cooling breeze that I take
As I held my hand out
Through the window
So very tempted
To run out
And dance in the rain

As the cold began to wrap itself
Upon my willing body
The rain subsided
And finally stopped
As sudden as how it started
Reluctantly, I pulled the windows close
So sad that it has passed
And returned to the warm embrace
Of the fire burning in the fireplace
Though fragile and mortal
Always there, nonetheless.




No comments: